Ballard Real Estate
Ballard is an absolute jewel of a neighborhood. It is beautifully situated by Shilshole Bay and Salmon Bay, which provides some magnificent views for residents and visitors alike. It perfectly combines city convenience and entertainment with a more quiet and charming character. The main commercial streets of Market St and Ballard Ave host an abundance of restaurants, cafes, bars and shops, while just a few minutes away, one can escape into nature and enjoy the stunning Hiram M. Chittenden Locks and Golden Gardens Park.
FUN FACT: Ballard is a historically Scandinavian area with distinct roots in fishing, shipbuilding and lumber. It used to be its own city until 1907 when it was annexed by Seattle. Remnants of this history are evident in the occasional “Free Ballard” bumper stickers that can be seen around the city from time to time.
Total Population: 167,429
Male/Female Population: 48.9% Male, 51.1% Female
Occupations: 63.2% White Collar, 36.8% Blue Collar
Median Age: 39
Median Household Income: $70,051
- Ballard Farmer’s Market – open every Sunday, selling produce exclusively from Washington state farmers.
- Golden Gardens Park – includes panoramic views of the Olympic Mountains, sandy beaches, forest trails, off leash dog park, fishing pier and boat launch.
- Hiram M. Chittenden Locks/Ballard Locks – a favorite location for strolling or boating, and the surrounding Carl S. English Jr. Botanical Gardens are stunning.
- Majestic Bay Theater – the oldest operating movie theater on the west coast prior to its closure in 1997 and was renovated in 1998.
- Adams Elementary School (K-5)
- Ballard High School (9-12) – ranked 15th in Washington state
- Loyal Heights Elementary School (K-5)
- Matheia School (K-5, private independent)
- North Beach Elementary School (K-5)
- Salmon Bay School (K-8)
- St. Alphonsus School (K-8, Catholic)
- West Woodland Elementary School (K-5)
- Whittier Elementary School (K-5)
Fact: The average school test scores in Ballard are 23% higher than the national average.